Kalum River, BC

Where we share our latest or upcoming fly fishing trips, reports, escapades and journeys.

Kalum River, BC

Postby flyfishergirl on Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:42 am

Tomorrow we are off to the Kalum. I hear its pretty hot right now, so wish us luck. I will post back later - hopefully with fish pics.
With My Silken Line and delicate hook,
I wander in a myriad of ripples
And find freedom.

Emperor Li Yu 6th Century.
flyfishergirl

Re: Kalum River, BC

Postby flyfishergirl on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:59 pm

The Kalum rocks! I have never fished this river before, and am so glad that i did. I loved it. We lucked out and got a beautiful day, with fairly clear water.

The Kalum is generally fished March - May, and September - November for SH. Many of the locals fish it through the winter too.

It's a very interesting river, one which is lake headed and is very nutrient rich, as evidenced by the amount of salmon carcasses on the shore and growth on the rocks.

The amount of fish in the river when we were there was insane. We fished the upper river, and saw many boiling, surfacing and rising. It was so cool - although a little humbling when one rises 15 feet in front of you, after you have fished through the water. :lol: This happened to us all, more than once!

I fished with buddies Geoff, who runs the fishing operation for Bell 2 lodge at http://www.steelhead-fishing.net/ and Wally who owns The Spey Lodge in Terrace http://www.speylodge.com/

Now, i didn't land a fish. In fact, i didn't have one on. :? I farmed one though. I hate it when i do that! Geoff hooked a few, had quite a few other grabs and yanks, and landed one. Wally had one on, but after a few jumps at a distance of about 150', lost it. I did have a few other taps and hesitations of the fly, but was never able to solidly connect with one. Oh well, patience is a virtue eh?

If you ever get a chance to fish the Kalum, do so. If you need a guide, contact Wally, as he knows the area like the back of his hand, and will give top notch guiding services.

h.jpg
h.jpg (75.7 KiB) Viewed 2325 times
g.jpg
g.jpg (54.91 KiB) Viewed 2325 times
f.jpg
f.jpg (71.82 KiB) Viewed 2325 times
e.jpg
e.jpg (40.41 KiB) Viewed 2325 times
d.jpg
d.jpg (62.15 KiB) Viewed 2324 times
c.jpg
c.jpg (80.97 KiB) Viewed 2325 times
And find freedom.

flyfishergirl

Re: Kalum River, BC

Postby flyfishergirl on Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:59 am

I have been fishing with a few people over the last while on the Kalum and Skeena tribs, and oddly enough have had massive issues getting the internet so i have been unable to post until i drove home for a couple of days. Today i am heading back out that way, for fishing and a white water rafting course i am taking, which i am so looking forward to. It will be tons of work, but also tons of fun.

I fished with the awesome Anette (who was one of the ladies who did the November Steelie trip in the area), and her husband Gregg, and new friend Rob. Sidebar - Gregg landed a hawg that was featured last season in Moldy Chum @ http://www.moldychum.com/home-old/2009/ ... lhead.html

The gang had fished on the Copper before meeting me and hitting the Kalum. The lack of snowfall over the winter is apparent, as the rivers are much lower than they should be, and lack of rain is keeping the fish from making a surge into the rivers. They are trickling in, but not being pushed like when the waters are higher.

So, it is making it hard to get fish for all. However, even tho the rivers are low and clear, the scenery is beauty and we are getting some fish, we just have to work hard for them, certainly making them the fish of 1000 casts!!!!

On day 1 Rob got a buck, pictured below and i also got a fish, mine was a hen which was about 8 lbs. She was chrome and beauty, but unfortunately since i was downstream fishing by myself, and without a camera to even try a DIY pic, alas - no proof! :D

put in boat.jpg
put in boat.jpg (88.72 KiB) Viewed 2133 times

scenery.jpg
scenery.jpg (61.45 KiB) Viewed 2133 times

anette and hannah.jpg
anette and hannah.jpg (109.91 KiB) Viewed 2133 times

anette cast.jpg
anette cast.jpg (110.34 KiB) Viewed 2133 times

anette fishing.jpg
anette fishing.jpg (125.41 KiB) Viewed 2133 times

rob sh.jpg
rob sh.jpg (95.42 KiB) Viewed 2133 times

I am heading back to the area today, and will be fishing the Skeena, Copper, Kitimat and Kalum for the next weekish, and will do my best to post more! Happy fishing!
And find freedom.

flyfishergirl

Return to Gone Fishin'